South Padre Fishing
Best Time to Fish 2009
- One hour before and one hour after high tides, and one hour before and one hour after low tides. Inland, the times for high tides correspond with the times when the Moon is due south. Low tides are halfway between high tides.
- During the "morning rise" (after sunup for a spell) and the "evening rise" (just before sundown and the hour or so after).
- When the barometer is steady or on the rise. (But even during stormy periods, the fish aren't going to give up feeding. The smart fisherman will find just the right bait.)
- When there is a hatch of flies -- caddis flies or mayflies, commonly. (The fisherman will have to match his fly with the hatching flies or go fishless.)
- When the breeze is from a westerly quarter rather than from the north or east.
When the water is still or rippled, rather than during a wind.
- Veteran fishing guide Cliff Fleming said the Brownsville Ship Channel is one of the best fishing holes in the Laguna Madre, and said many guides could suffer financially if they lose access to the channel, which he calls an important haven from stormy weather during autumn and winter. “There are a lot of species there that you don’t find anywhere else. It is kind of like a little Texas State Aquarium,” said Fleming, who operates Crystal Flats Guide Service. “It is a great attraction also for bird watching as there are a lot birds in that area.”